Logan City calls for strategy feedback
The council said the region is “poised to become an economic and innovative powerhouse in South East Queensland, with influence extending nationally and internationally”.
To achieve this, the council is aiming for the city to become sustainable, with “local and global reach, where resources are used responsibly, and where connections between people and places are convenient”.
The Strategy document (PDF) outlines 4 principles:
- Empowering community — encouraging and increasing participation, harnessing the knowledge and creativity of the community, and designing services that are people-centric.
- Open to innovation — leveraging change and disruption to create new opportunities, employment and growth.
- Confidence — promoting the city as an ideal place for investment, entrepreneurship and innovation, and showcase our success with pride.
- Collaboration and partnership — bringing the community and national and international industry, academia, government and innovators together.
These principles will be matched with 5 priority actions:
- Future innovation and prosperity — through innovation and co-working hubs; fostering research, innovation and collaborative partnerships; and procurement reform.
- Connectivity, mobility and communications — delivering high-capacity fixed and wireless, narrow and broadband, cellular and emerging technology communication networks, including free public Wi-Fi.
- Future local services — developing a Council Innovation Framework to drive efficiency and innovation, and promotion of ‘smart working’ by council staff.
- Future community — modernising city governance and community engagement through digital technology to strengthen participation and innovation.
- Sustainability — including working with industry to produce guidelines for integrating smart technology into new developments.
The overall strategy is designed to comply with the federal government's Smart Cities Plan.
The Draft City Futures Strategy can be viewed on the Logan City Council website.
The US National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO) has laid out its...
Contracts worth more than $248m have been awarded to vendors in the first two years of the...
The effect of big data and analytics on the future of governance and regulation will be discussed...