Small increase in New Zealand’s IT budget


By Jonathan Nally
Tuesday, 22 May, 2018

Small increase in New Zealand’s IT budget

The New Zealand Government has allocated NZ$3.9 million of new operating funding over four years to the country’s Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT).

Announced in last week’s 2018 Budget, the measure aims to boost New Zealand’s ability to respond to major cyber events, as well as improving cyber threat intelligence.

“CERT was established just over a year ago. The new funding means it can continue to respond to major cyber events and provide advice to businesses, organisations and individuals who may be affected by cybersecurity incidents,” said Broadcasting, Communications and Digital Media Minister Clare Curran.

“There are a range of victims — the corporate sector, government agencies, small businesses and individuals — so it is crucial CERT is funded to enhance its trusted and authoritative services.”

In addition, the Budget allocates NZ$6.2 million to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment for measures to enhance its ability to deliver policy advice on communications, infrastructure and digital economy priorities such as the country’s ultrafast broadband network.

Image credit: ©stock.adobe.com/au/Leo Lintang

Please follow us and share on Twitter and Facebook. You can also subscribe for FREE to our weekly newsletter and quarterly magazine.

Related News

Quest Software completes IRAP assessments

Quest Software has achieved IRAP certification for both its Quest Trusted Data Management...

ASD says beware of AI agents taking unexpected actions

Recent reported cyber incidents highlight the goal misalignment and unintended behaviour risks...

ACSC updates guidance on SBOMs

The Australian Cyber Security Centre has released updated guidance on the minimum elements for a...


  • All content Copyright © 2026 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd